Monday, October 24, 2005

Grow It, Show It

While looking through some boxes in storage yesterday I found this memento.


I had gone to Chicago with my father in the fall of 1968, to help with a booth he had at a convention, in the old McCormack Center when you could still smell the cattle nearby at the huge stockyards. We stayed at the Palmer House hotel.

This flyer was placed in our hotel room to promote the play, and we almost went to see it that night. I don't know how, if at all seeing this might have changed my life; by that year I was already politically aware, had started to identify with the Hippie "movement", and was recording bands in my home studio. And I had already on more than one occasion been sent to the school office and ordered to 'GET A HAIRCUT." I remember the principal saying she wasn't going to make a formal rule about hair length just for one person. What's funny is my hair by todays standards wasn't really that long, although by the standards of those primitive days it was long enough that I was sometimes verbally attacked by strangers with comments like "you look like a girl" and at school I often had to fight off guys pulling my hair. A few years later the same hairpullers had their hair longer than mine, once they were older and wanted to look "cool".

What are the hair pullers doing now?




Selling Rogaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment